(Final Blog Post) My Horrendous Relationship

 Known to be one of the most amazing advancements in the world today, our modern technology has gone above and beyond to make our lives easier and more convenient in a number of ways. Every single bit of information ever at the lift of a finger, worldwide ocean of news and media. What's more, a direct relay to anyone at any time on the internet.  Connecting to one another has never been so easy…right? 

It has, just not in the way it was intended to. Things like social media have clouded our social skills with insecurity and disdain, actually doing the opposite of its original purpose. People’s social skills have grown so awful, as my generation grows more and more people have social anxiety. As a generation, and even as a race, humans are more alone now than ever because of technology. Our phone has turned from an object to connect with other people around us to the one we want to connect with.

 If you go outside today to get a coffee, look around to see how many people are on their phones (If you aren’t on yours yourself of course) and notice that a very large handful of them will be doing something on it in order to not feel alone. Even if an individual is with another individual the chances of them both being on their phones while in each other's company is very high. 

Why is this? The relationship we have with technology has grown much stronger and more intense than any relationship you can develop now in the real world, for it cannot be as stimulating anymore. When consuming media and scrolling, you will find that you are always learning something, looking at something, listening to something. This stimulation for a long period of time numbs us to the point where we are bored if we don't have a certain level of excitement, we crave everything all of the time. When you are falling asleep and alone, it is more common to sleep right next to your phone or even have it on while falling asleep. When you are out doing any task it is easier and more comfortable knowing you have your phone on you, it feels as if you are not alone doesn't it? That sheer idea should terrify you. This Is the reason people overshare on the internet, why people ghost on the internet. Nowadays, understanding the true feeling of when you are alone is a blurry gray area, it continues to grow worse with the help of social media. 



 
 

It is simply unhealthy. I am no excuse. For one, I dislike sleeping alone, so I watch videos of other people to not feel so alone while I drift into dreamland. When I am sitting eating food, I typically scroll on social media to feel included in everyone else's lives when I'm not with them. During times of boredom, I can play games or read the news. All of this leaves me with extremely high screen time, fomo, self disgust, and more. The relationship I have with my phone specifically is toxic and abusive, despite its excellence in most ways, the path I go down keeping up this relationship is a dark one, and the same goes for anyone who can relate to me. 

My goal is to challenge myself to break up with my technological addiction, and get as little screen time as possible. I will find little ways to get off social media, fall asleep and do work away from my phone, and only use it for emergencies. If this is done successfully (which it has been done successfully in the past), increase the time without it. In the end, it will only come back as our society is so integrated with this technology, you are almost forced into an arranged marriage. How Technology Is Causing Anxiety (bentley.edu)

Opinion | Is Technology Harming Teenagers? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)


Comments