(6) The Unknown: anti-war and its popularity

     


    After an extensive dive into the websites ANTIWAR.COM and The American Conservative, I was introduced to a community I didn’t have much individual knowledge on. Through my educational path, in various classes (most of them history) I have had many examples of Anti-war voices and what they have done for society in the past. Nowadays, I have never experienced something so direct and passionate, nothing deserving the actual title of being ‘anti-war’. I think the main reason for this underrepresentation is the sheer reality of today's technology. Most people my age only are educated on the news with mainstream media, which has many tactics of keeping their income their number one priority rather than making sure what they cover is diverse and quality information for the people. Yes, technology is definitely still important for connecting the community of anti war voices together, but the general public is typically fed things that tend to become aggressive headlines in order to get their numbers up. If different news channels or papers prioritized all voices, people my age would probably have a better idea of anti war figures in our generation. Part of this, though, is definitely the fact that our government thrives best when controlling its people, and keeping us separated and in favor of such destructive acts such as war, our officials are happy. 


Personally, I would say I am anti-war myself, and learning about it more and more is important to me. Now reading these sites and knowing about the communities themselves that make their voices heard best they can, I feel more comfortable being aware of the coverage of the world current news, and the people they want to present on the big screen and in the papers.


Comments